What Is Academics For Teens?
As parents we want the best for our children and we know how important getting a good education is in helping them achieve a good future. The teen years can be the most difficult for some and it can be distressing to watch your teen struggle, or make choices that are leading them down a more negative path. Too often we see teenagers dropping out of High School, cutting their education short and narrowing their options for a brighter future.
In the U.S. alone, 1.2 million teenagers leave school before graduating. That means we lose about 7,000 students a day. But it doesn't have to be this way and there is help, even for those who feel they have tried everything.
Turning Winds Academic Institute offers parents the resources and tools necessary to help troubled teens get back on track and finish their education. It focuses on academics and therapies that can help your teen get past their obstacles and troubles so that they can begin to engage within society in a productive and positive way. Their team of professionals know what it takes to help troubled teens reach education success, with many going on to a college education.
Turning Winds also work with parents to get them involved in their teens therapy and learning program, which can include family therapy sessions, workshops for parenting and a number of other tools that will help you, as parents, to help your teen.
5 Pillars Of Change
Each teen is put into a program that is tailored to their academic and therapeutic needs through the schools 5 Pillars of Change. This focuses on the areas of:
- Character Education and Life Skills – teaches teens how to manage themselves and to embrace character as a foundation for a more successful future. Teens are taught social skills, decision making skills, issue resolution, and service activities.
- Health, Wellness and Fitness – Health, wellness and fitness are a high priority at Turning Winds that focus on mental, psychological and physical well being. Trained medical staff and nutritionists work with students to maintain a healthy diet based on each individual's needs. The campus also offers a variety of adventure and fitness education activities.
- Outdoor Education – Turning Winds utilizes the outdoors as part of the therapy process, teaching students the therapeutic benefits of nature and the great outdoors. It focuses on experiential education, adventure therapy and psycho-education therapy. Each activity is meant to teach important life lessons, such as team work, endurance, problem solving and mental strength.
- Therapeutic Success – Turning Winds uses an individual therapeutic approach for your teen, with licensed professionals that can assess your teen's needs and who work with the entire family to identify any issues. Students in the program receive weekly individual therapy to assist in their emotional growth, as well as group therapy and group activities that are geared toward dealing with the main social and emotional issues that teens today are faced with.
- Academic Achievement – Each teen is given a unique experience in academics by board certified, trained teachers who assess your child's academic need bringing your teen to academic success. Even the most discouraged teens will find the individualized one on one approach to learning much more helpful, as areas of weakness and strength are taken into consideration, along with which learning approach works best for your teen. Not every student learns the same way and this can be an issue in public schools that group all teens together under one learning style. Teachers also focus on preparation for college and the importance of continuing their education.
There are 3 programs that your teen can be enrolled in, depending on their specific needs:
- Wilderness Program – this is referred to as a boot camp by some and focuses on behavioral health by using wilderness therapy. It teaches your teen to be self-sufficient, improve interpersonal skills, work as a team and develop problem solving skills. It's a shorter program that can last between six to ten weeks and is less costly than the longer term programs.
- Residential Treatment Center – in this program behavioral support, medical support, medication management, individual and group therapy are all used in a structured environment. These programs can last between several weeks to several months depending on the issues and treatment your teen needs.
- Boarding School – in this 12 month program we integrate academics with therapy that focuses on behavioral, emotional, physical and social growth. Here, your teen also earns credits towards their diploma and live at the school during the entire process.
The programs offered at Turning Winds Academic Institute can be a great benefit to both troubled teens and their family. As parents, we don't always have the coping and teaching skills to fully help our children. But the programs offered will give parent the tools and resources needed to help their teens move forward in their lives.
Your child doesn't have to be a statistic because of your background, education or social standing. Children are our future, and by helping your teen become a productive and happy member of society, they can be the ones that help bring change for the better.
Contact Us: (800) 845-1380