Teen boarding schools DO make a difference! Turning Winds Academic Institute (TWAI) provides a structured, academic, self-discovering and therapeutic program for teens between the ages of 12 and 18.
TWAI specializes in three distinct areas: Behavior transformation, emotional stability, and academic achievement. We attribute our success in working with teens during the past decade on the focused work that has been done in these three areas.
Through the use of our Integrated Therapeutic Curriculum (ITC) and our character education focus we are able to help every teen to succeed in our unique therapeutic environment. Because we choose to limit our student population we are able to focus on each individual child, rather than the group as a whole, which allows us to help prevent our students from “slipping through the cracks.”
Many of our students come to us with a vast array of impediments (Many of which are self-inflicted) that are preventing them from being successful in life. Our individualized approach helps us guide and assist each teen we work with to move past their individual stumbling blocks that have been wreaking havoc in their lives. We can help almost any teen who struggles with any of the following behaviors:
Anger and Defiance, Rebelliousness, Immaturity, Low Self-Worth, Poor Family Relationships, Failing in School, Negative Peer Relationships, Lack of Motivation, Impulsivity, Addictions, ADD/ADHD, Bipolar, Depression, Anxiety Disorders, Bereavement, and Adoption and Attachment issues.
At our boarding schools we utilize individualized therapy with licensed therapists, outdoor recreation, development of life skills, the teaching of appropriate social relationships, leadership development, a time tested one-on-one teaching style, field trips that are conducive to learning, and a fully accredited academic institute, accredited by Northwest Accreditation Commission and National Independent Private Schools Association. These services help our students develop the character needed to succeed where they have failed in the past. We believe character, developed through living time tested values, is the key component in successful living and life satisfaction. We help develop good character by promoting the following virtues:
THE 12 CHARACTER VIRTUES
- Industriousness (maintaining a positive work ethic aimed at setting and achieving realistic goals in service to self and others)
- Humility (the ability to remain teachable)
- Direction (the ability to lead through the process of correct decision making)
- Environmental Awareness (realizing that healthy environments promote individual wellness)
- Integrity (understanding and accepting one’s own strengths and weaknesses by being true to one’s own self)
- Responsibility (acquiring, then using, knowledge to make the best decisions possible and living with the outcome)
- Respect (appreciating oneself and others as persons with great potential and creative possibilities)
- Family Connection (developing a greater appreciation for the strengths and resources that one can draw upon within his or her own family)
- Altruism (engaging in activities for the primary purpose of serving others)
- Verbal Assertiveness (speaking up in a supportive and encouraging manner)
- Gratitude (the ability to be grateful by having appreciation and recognition of all the good things in life. This is vital in helping teens overcome depression and anxiety)
- Forgiveness (Forgiving self and others, or to cancel a debt, to pardon, or to wipe the slate clean)
We believe that every teen possesses an inner greatness that can be rekindled given the right environment. TWAI encourages adolescents to “Take a Stand” for what is right, and facilitates growth in troubled teens by helping them to rediscover their strengths. We accept teens from all over the United States, as well as internationally.
Please take our online test to determine your child’s need for placement by clicking here.